downloading entire directories

Francisco Reyes lists at natserv.com
Sat May 21 10:40:12 PDT 2005

On Fri, 20 May 2005, Tony Shadwick wrote:

> There are two ways you could do this.  The first is like so:

I believe there may be a third way.
Have not done it in a while, but some FTP servers allow you to specify a
tar file from a directory.

To be honest I don't recall syntax, but it was something like "get
dirname.tar" and the FTP server would know to prepare a tar of the entire
directory. Don't know which server(s) suppor(ed) this feature though.

Long run something like rsync or unison are better options though.
Although I think scp can download multiple files, but I don't know if it
recurses.