root filesystem occationally not found

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat May 21 07:55:27 PDT 2005

"dave" <dmehler26 at woh.rr.com> writes:

>     I've got a 5.2 box that on the very rare times i have to reboot it
> occationally, not always but enough to be a concern, it can not find it's
> root filesystem, and i'm dropped at a loader prompt. At the loader prompt i
> issue "reboot" the box does so again and this time it boots completely. I am
> at a loss to explain this and wonder if anyone has seen anything similar?

That exact set of symptoms doesn't sound familiar, but I would suspect
that there might be other messages about the disk just before that.
If this is an ATA disk, I would suggest updating the system, as
improvements in the ATA code might solve the problem and will
certainly make diagnosing it simpler.