NEWBIE: pkg_add syntax clarification for opera 8.01?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat May 21 07:30:59 PDT 2005

David Armour <dfarmour at myrealbox.com> writes:

> reading the manpages for pkg_add & pkg_create have left me no wiser.
>
> i'm still confused as to how to use pkg_add to replace a wonky opera 8 with a
> patched opera 8.01. the handbook instructions i have advise:
> 226 Transfer complete.
> 92375 bytes received in 5.60 seconds (16.11 KB/s)
> ftp> exit
> # pkg_add lsof-4.56.4.tgz
>
> i'm unclear where the .tgz file should be prior to unleashing pkg_add....
> currently, it's sitting on my main user's Desktop. but the handbook [3rd ed.,
> 132] cites the subdirectory -- cd /pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/sysutils/
> [admittedly for lsof, above] -- so i'm wondering if i should move
> opera-8.01-20050509.1-static-qt.i386.freebsd-en.tgz
>
> to /usr/ports/distfiles?
>
> thanks for any suggestions, short of suicide. :c)

Well, no one's likely to endorse suicide as a technical support technique...

It doesn't matter where the file is now that you have downloaded it.
Traditionally they go under /usr/ports/packages, because that's where
they are put if you build a package yourself, but the file itself
contains all of the meta-information it needs to install the program
in question.