installing freebsd: only detects 4mb ram

Etienne Ledoux etienne at unix.za.org
Fri May 20 23:48:34 PDT 2005

ok, a long time ago I installed freebsd on an old beast. it has been faithfull
to me for a few years now. I want to reinstall it with 5.4STABLE (not
upgrade, I want to start fresh). But it only detects 4mb of ram. it actually
has 98mb of ram and I remember I had to recompile the kernel to get freebsd
to detect the rest of the ram. but i can't remember how i managed to install
it. I see the faq says I need 5mb and for 5x I need 8mb. I can't put the
drives in another system because  it's an old compaq raid array and I have no
machine where these drives would fit into. Is there any other possible way to
install this machine ? perhaps over nfs ? or a paramater at boot to detect
the rest of the ram ?

tx

e.