radeon

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Fri May 20 19:51:39 PDT 2005

On Friday 20 May 2005 07:11 pm, .VWV. wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Once again, I have problems in order to use any kind of graphical
> environment on FreeBSD, therefore I write from Wingsdowz.
>
> I was trying to move to RADEON-based cards, but I have no idea how to
> make them work with X servers. I have a mixed-up 4.7 and 4.11 system,
> with the kernel of the new one, and the X server of the old one. I
> have both the collection of ports available.

When you are having problems, I find that you need to get consistant.
Your comment about kernel is scary because on FreeBSD you don't have a
different kernel and user land. You have 4.11 or 4-stable but not a
combo of both. No one will have a similar system to see what you can do
to fix a problem until you have a consistant system with what other
people are also running.

If you are running a 4.11 system, you need to upgrade all of your ports
to 4.11. There is on the order of a year between the release of 4.7 and
4.11. Lots of things have changed. So, I would get all of the ports
updated to 4.11. The port program sysutils/portupgrade will make this
easier. You can set the option "-P" and it will use packages
from /usr/ports/packages/All or you can mount the 4.11 CD and load the
packages from the CD. Chapter 4 in the Handbook is on maintaining your
ports. It goes in to much better detail than anyone will in a simple
email.

> I'm testing the Radeon chipsets from 9250 to 9800, even if the firts
> experiences are crappy also on Wingsdowz, as for the desktop stuff.
> If I could find a couple of ABIT FX5800 OTES, I'll trash the ABIT
> RADEONS.

The XFree86 Organization will have documentation on what cards it
supports. You will have to track them down and see what cards are
supported. The newer ones may only be fully supported on Xorg. That
doesn't work very well on 4.x and you should consider updating to
FreeBSD 5.4. There is an iso that you can download and burn on to CD-R
material.

Kent

> On FreeBSD I only run Windowmaker, GNUstep, GTK1 at the moment; the
> system also runs emulators like Wine and Xmame: it is extremely fast.
> On Wingsdowz I have two customized graphical engines for the desktop.
> Both the systems look exactly like a NeXT.
>
> I would like to receive some suggestions. Please, CC me. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> VITTORI

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA