all users to mount cd's

Nicolas Blais nb_root at videotron.ca
Fri May 20 13:25:50 PDT 2005

On May 20, 2005 04:10 pm, Ryan Winograd wrote:
> Is there an easy way to allow any user to mount cd's?
> Well, yes. I have proper perms on cd devs and if a user creates
> a directory he owns he can mount from command line w/ sudo.
>
> There are, however, some requiremnents i am trying to meet.
>
> I would like the mounting process to be much easier. I am using
> KDE and would like to have the cd's mount automatically so that
> the users don't have to know how to use the command line. How
> can I accomplish this?
>
> Thanks in advance for all advice,
> Ryan w

Everything in that FAQ still works :
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#USER-FLOPPYMOUNT

Basically, type sysctl  vfs.usermount=1 or add the line vfs.usermount=1
to /etc/sysctl.conf so that it changes itself at boot.
Make sure your cdrom has the correct permission in /etc/devfs.conf (example :
perm acd0 777).
Make a user-readable folder in the users home directory (/home/myself/cdrom)
Make a fstab entry in /etc/fstab for that user (/dev/acd0 /home/myself/cdrom
cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0)
Make an device icon on the KDE desktop with that user's fstab entry (found in
the Device tab).

Anyone sees a mistake in this, please fix,

Nicolas.