Trying to DTRT: backup UFS2 with POSIX.1e ACLs, how?

Ash omniBSD at speakeasy.net
Fri May 20 11:05:13 PDT 2005

What is the recommended method to backup UFS2 file systems with ACLs
enabled?

I made the mistake of assuming (yes, yes, I'm well aware of the old
adage) that dump(8) and restore(8) are compatible with POSIX.1e ACLs. I
found during some testing that my assumption was either incorrect or I
have not figured out how use dump/restore to properly play with ACLs.

I've searched around the Interweb as well as the usual local sources
(and read the man pages (dump(8), restore(8), acl(3), etc...) along with
/usr/src/sys/ufs/ufs/README.acls) for an answer to creating backups and
restoring UFS2 file systems with POSIX.1e ACLs enabled. I did not gain
any insight from the local documentation and my Internet searches have
produced conflicting results.

In this ONLamp article (http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/4053), the author
states that "FreeBSD's dump has been modified to understand UFS2
(including ACLs)." My experience has been to the contrary.

I've also found newsgroup/mailing list articles stating that dump(8)
does not yet understand ACLs and to use the archivers/star port. I don't
have a problem installing a port to facilitate my backups (ACLs show up
in snapshots, so I should be able to get a consistent backup), however I
would obviously prefer to use dump(8)/restore(8), if I have the option.

I'm running a relatively recently -STABLE (5.4-STABLE #0: Tue May 17
18:09:01 CDT 2005).

I have been passing the following flags to dump(8)/restore(8) for testing:

dump -0a -f <filename> < mount point | device name >

restore -rf <filename>

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Ash