Odd Messages showing up in /var/log/messages

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Fri May 20 08:41:37 PDT 2005

Hello everyone.

Just recently, some very odd messages started showing up in my
/var/log/messages on a FreeBSD 4.9 MailGateway box.This box serves as
our primary email scrubber, removing viruses and quarnatining spam. It
has worked flawlessly for over a year. This messages started popping up
just this week.

Here is a few snips:

May 20 08:22:27 mail jwilliams: Process did not exit cleanly, returned
255 with signal 0
May 20 08:22:38 mail jwilliams: Process did not exit cleanly, returned
255 with signal 0
May 20 08:23:44 mail jwilliams: Process did not exit cleanly, returned
255 with signal 0
May 20 08:26:45 mail jwilliams: Process did not exit cleanly, returned
255 with signal 0
May 20 08:31:50 mail jwilliams: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 9
with signal 0
May 20 08:34:39 mail jwilliams: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 9
with signal 0
May 20 08:35:01 mail jwilliams: Process did not exit cleanly, returned
255 with signal 0
May 20 08:37:37 mail jwilliams: Process did not exit cleanly, returned
255 with signal 0

Just to be sure, I ran chkrootkit as well as rootkithunter on the boxes,
just to check. They both came back negative for any infections or foul play.

But, I am still concerned about these messages and would like to know
what they are and what is causing them. It would make me feel better.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to start? I'm a little baffled
at this moment.

I appreciate it.

Jason