Non-identical CPUs in dual-processor system

Brian O'Shea b_oshea at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 20:38:07 PDT 2005

Hello all,

I have a dual-processor system that I have been using with only a
single CPU for some time.  Recently I got ahold of another CPU from
an old retired system.  I thought that both processors were identical
(they came from what appears to be the same model PC, an HP Kayak XU).
However, after booting the system I see that the processors are not
the same:

CPU information in mptable output:

Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step    Flags
                 0       0x11    BSP, usable     6       3       3
0x80fbff
                 1       0x11    AP, usable      6       5       2
0x183fbff

(sorry for the long lines)

In this output you can see that the model for CPU0 is 3, but for
CPU 1 it is 5.  Also, the flags are different.  Are there likely to
be any adverse effects from using this combination of processors?
There are no errors in dmesg, and the system appears to be using
both processors:

CPU: Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron (266.08-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x633  Stepping = 3

Features=0x80fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,MMX>

MPTable: <HP       XU/XW       >
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
 cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
 cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1

cpu0 on motherboard
cpu1 on motherboard