which raid option in FreeBSD 5.X?

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Thu May 19 15:50:09 PDT 2005

Jev wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>We have a new box with 4 200GiG IDE disks, we wish to set it up using
>software raid, and I'm aware there are many options, from vimum, gvinum,
>various other geom classes...
>
>What is the best option looking to the future, that is usable for now?
>
>We are looking for data safety over speed.

You might set up a RAID10, which is a stripe across two mirrors.
Mirrors are the best way to preserve data -- very simple to implement,
and if a disk crashes, rebuild is just a matter of copying data from the
known good disk.

If RAID10 is too complicated, I'd say set up a pair of RAID1 volumes via
gmirror.  That will give you 400G total data.  It is not the best way to
utilize your capacity, but then, I assume you have 200G drives because
disk is cheap these days.

Cheers,
-danny

--