dsl setup

Tony Shadwick tshadwick at goinet.com
Thu May 19 13:16:10 PDT 2005

Presuming your dsl provider doesn't use a username and password to connect
(something called PPPoE), then you can just connect using DHCP and you'll
be on.

The more likely scenario is that they do indeed use PPPoE, so you'll need
to install the pppoe client, set up your username and password, then
connect.

I would strong suggest using a third option, which would be to purchase a
hardware dsl router that will make setting this up much simpler, allow you
to share your connection with other users simply enough, and add an
additional layer of protection.  This will allow you to use DHCP to get an
IP address and not have to worry about a PPPoE client.

Tony