Mirror Partition

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu May 19 06:32:33 PDT 2005

freebsd.org at donnacha.com writes:

> Hi, another HDD question:
>
> If you are getting a hosting center to set up a server with two HDDs,
> and if the 2nd HDD has a /mirror partition the same size as the 1st
> HDD, do the guys doing the install need to denote the /mirror
> partition as being a particular type of partition i.e. in the same way
> that swap is a particular type of partition.
>
> I was originally planning on simply having a normal partition called
> /mirror created and left empty for a few weeks until I'd learnt more
> and was able to choose between vinum, gvinum, gmirror or whatever but,
> if that empty partition needs to be of a certain type, I need to let
> them know.
>
> The key problem, as ever, is that I will only have cmd-line access to
> the server.

You shouldn't need to pre-label the partition.

However, I would *strongly* recommend getting an extra machine to
experiment with locally before depending on mirror capabilities.  In
particular, don't even bother setting up a mirror unless you've tested
the changeover *before* you need it.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/