FreeBSD

Joel rees at ddcom.co.jp
Thu May 19 00:41:19 PDT 2005

(Apologies to the list for the shotgun answer.)

> Will this program allow me create  password access to websites?

If you mean by that, can you set up a password protected website on
FreeBSD, then, theoretically, yes. It depends somewhat on you and your
internet connection.

Apache+mod_ssl is straightforward to install on FreeBSD, if you
understand how to install ports. The installation is described on
FreeBSD's website, I assume you can find that. The setup for apache and
mod_ssl is described in appropriate places on the web, starting with

    http://httpd.apache.org

In addition, you may need to either arrange for a static IP address from
your internet service provider, or arrange for dynamic DNS service from
one of several companies that provide that.

I'm glossing over a few details, but this is one place to ask questions
when you get stuck. Mailing lists for apache questions can be found on
the apache site mentioned above.

(Apache can also be installed on MSWindows, but I do not recommend that.
If you're going to spend the time to learn how to set up apache as a
secure webserver, you'll also need to learn how to secure your operating
system as well. So you might as well learn how to use and secure the
freeBSD operating system instead. If you only have one computer and
absolutely must run MSOffice, and openOffice is not good enough, however,
well, theoretically, you can secure MSWindows professional editions
enough, if you run behind a firewall. But in that case this is
definitely not the right place for questions.)

> Can I copy program  from internet to my computer and burn CD (internal
> burning)?

I'm not sure how CDs and gastric distress are related, but if your
computer is capable of burning CDs, you should be able to burn the ISO
install images alright.

;-)

Downloading may take some time. At 1.5 Mb/s (broadband), it takes an
hour to four hours for each image, depending on what my network
neighbors are doing. At 56Kb modem speeds, think in terms of tying your
phone line up for a day or more at a time for each image, in which case,
CDs can be purchased, instead. Of course, if you're planning on running
a web server, we would assume you have some dedicated internet
connection anyway.

If you decide to install freeBSD, you should check hardware
compatibility before you get started. If your computer is not compatible,
there are other BSD options as well. (If you have a Macintosh running
Mac OS X, you already have a cousin of FreeBSD, and apache is already
installed, in which case, send me a note off-line and I'll point you to
apple and apache resources.)

--
Joel Rees   <rees at ddcom.co.jp>
digitcom, inc.   株式会社デジコム