SSH2 and ZSH

Gabriel O'Brien go at quay.net
Wed May 18 16:22:21 PDT 2005

Unless you have a good reason to I wouldn't replace OpenSSH, I'm not
aware of any particular functionality that is provided by a different
implementation of SSH that is not present in the BSD standard OpenSSH.
I wouldn't mess with this unless I was sure I knew why I was doing so.

You can turn off OpenSSH in your /etc/rc.conf file by changing:

sshd_enable="YES"

sshd_enable="NO"

That said it would sound to me like you have a path problem not and SSH
problem with your shell.  I'm not familiar with ZSH but something like
'echo $PATH' should tell you what paths are being searched when you run
commands.  Do a 'find / -name "ping"' and compare this with your $PATH
list.  Some shells don't (by default) include the sbin directories in a
normal user's path, FreeBSD installs ping by default in /sbin and a
number of other utilities (that in some UNIX/Linux distributions are
regular user utilities) are found under /sbin and /usr/sbin.

My advice: ditch your replacement SSH and check your paths, my
expectation is that the default port of zsh probably has a sane
configuration.

-Gabe

Gabriel M. O'Brien
http://web.quay.net/