Internet d/l sometimes slow on wireless clients

John Doe ireallyhatetobe at hotmail.com
Wed May 18 11:10:18 PDT 2005

   Hi all,
   First, you can see my network configuration
   here : [1]http://agora.ulaval.ca/~mgcou1/
   I have a FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE server
   In the topic I say "sometimes" slow because
   on some servers, (nvidia.com, apple.ca, etc...)
   Wireless clients can't do more than 200kbps.
   But on some others servers, wireless clients
   do 500 kbps... (ftp.ulaval.ca, winzip.com or
   winrar.de If I can remember correctly)
   Anyway, The problem is that I have 2 networks
   behind the firewall/NAT. Wired and wireless. If a
   wired client ask for a file on a fast server, I can
   do 500kbps... later on the same server with a
   wireless client, I just do 200kbps... If I fetch the
   same file directly from the server, I do 500kbps.
   But as I said earlier, on some servers, everyone
   are doing 500kbps on my clients (Wired/less).
   The bandwidth between the clients and the
   server is not the problem since I have tested
   wireless clients on the FreeBSD's ftp (and I get
   600kbps down and ~550kbps up).
   Could this be fragmentation issues of my wireless
   packets on some routers on the Internet? (I just
   ask since I don't have a clue!)
   My wireless router on the diagram is assigned a
   static ip of 192.168.2.2 and just routes clients
   (192.168.2.[3-254] to the server and vice-versa).
   Its MTU is 1500. No wep enabled.
   I remember that I had the same problem while I
   created an AP directly on the FreeBSD machine
   some time ago...

   Thanks,

   Mike