Cyrus IMAP from Ports in 5.X?

greg at grokking.org greg at grokking.org
Wed May 18 06:54:14 PDT 2005

>> check permissions on /usr/local/etc/sasldb
>> (or /usr/local/etc/sasldb2) and make sure it allows reading by the
>> user running your pop/imap/mta.
>

> Running saslpasswd2 as root.
> For /usr/local/etc/sasldb2 also tried setting the owner to cyrus and
> giving the group (mail) write capabilities.
>
> Changing to use a different Berkeley DB version changes the error to
> May 17 23:04:16 testpompa saslpasswd2: setpass succeeded for fran
> May 17 23:04:16 testpompa saslpasswd2: error deleting entry from sasldb:
> DB_NOTFOUND: No matching key/data pair found
>
> Where able to get Cyrus running from ports?

Yes, I have...on several hosts. Can you confirm that the setup does not
in fact work? I ask this because I suspect the errors noted above may be
no cause for concern as they might be referring to authentication
method(s) you may not actually want/need. I think the port automatically
compile in support for plaintext, cram-md5, digest-md5, ntlm, otp,
gssapi, etc. so everytime you use the setpass tool it wants to create
entries for EVERY auth type. The ones, like gssapi and OTP, that require
additional configuration may be the ones generating the errors in the
logs. I think your bdb versions need to all be in sync as well.

Try rebuilding cyrus-sasl2 with only those methods you want or need:

make WITHOUT_OTP=1 WITHOUT_NTLM=1 WITHOUT_GSSAPI=1 WITH_BDB_VER=42
make install clean

[here I've built sasl2 with only plaintext, digest and cram support.
Read the Makefile in the port dir to see if there are other options you
need/want]

Then build cyrus-imapd2.x with the same db version, like this:

make USE_BDB_VER=42
make install clean

Hope that helps,