The availability of socketbits.h?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed May 18 04:46:12 PDT 2005

On 2005-05-18 18:31, Xu Qiang <Qiang.Xu at fujixerox.com> wrote:
>Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> Would you post a diff of the files you had to change to the list once
>> you get it running?
>
> With the help of Giorgos, I finally got all the diff into separate
> patch files.

One patch file for the entire source tree of each package would be even
better, but anyway...

> P.S.: Although this can work, I can't find the option "-std" in "man
> gcc", quite strange. Any hints?

The manpage of gcc is severely out of date.  The GNU folks prefer
Texinfo for their documentation since a long time ago.  Just ignore the
manpage of gcc(1).  IMHO, it provides absolutely no useful information
anymore :-(

> 3. Up to now, the compilation can be done successfully with GNU make,
> but if the following patch(es) is/are not applied, the compiled binary
> (nngssrv) will throw a run-time error and dump core. The patches are
> credited to Dan Nelson and Giorgos Keramidas. Either one set of the
> patches is enough to avoid the run-time error. Which one to choose is
> up to your own.

My "patch" is incorrect.  Use Dan's changes :-)

> P.S.: After using Giorgos' method to create the diff patches, I don't
> know how to apply the patches back to the original file(s). Can
> Giorgos help me once more? (Actually, I am quite a newbie in FreeBSD
> world.)

Using patch(1).  The diffs you have posted refer to a single file each.
The correct method to use these diffs would be:

  1. Extract the package tarballs, as downloaded from sourceforge.
  2. Change into the directory that contains the file you'll patch
     (see the first lines of the patch for the filename).
  3. Run patch(1) on the patchfile (the patchfile doesn't need to be in
     the current directory).

An example could be:

	# cd /tmp/nngs/directory/of/file/
	# patch -p0 < /tmp/dan_nelson.diff

> Hope this open-source software can be integrated into "ports" system
> of FreeBSD.

I honestly hope it is *NOT*.  It's so awfully written, my eyes hurt
*AND* it is unmaintained at SourceForge since late 2002.