IPSec and Racoon between 5.4 and 4.11

Daren Russell darenr at end-design.co.uk
Wed May 18 04:01:46 PDT 2005

Daren Russell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a VPN between two FBSD machines using IPSEC and Racoon.  I
> managed to put this together a couple of years back with (getting) old
> hardware, although I am certainly no expert.  One of the machines is
> about to be replaced as it is occasionally conking out, and I though I
> would try the 5.4 release on the new hardware (both existing machines
> are running 4.9)
>
> I have setup internally the layout and effectively replicated the
> configs of both machines (except for the one being 5.4, and a second
> running 4.11 instead of 4.9), but I cannot get them talking.  The
> configs for Racoon/IPSec/psk have been transferred over with zero
> changes.  The 5.4 machine is using standard IPSEC (not FAST_IPSEC), and
> a standard tunnel works fine.  It's as soon as IPSec/Racoon is brought
> in that it falls over.
>
> Has anybody got 5.4 <-> 4.11 talking in this config, or does anybody
> know of any pitfalls because of kernel changes?
>
> The only other thing is the 5.4 machine is running amd64.

Just as a follow up for the archives:

I re-installed using the i386 arch (the machine was amd64) and with the
exact same config files, the VPN came straight up.

I guess there is an issue with running racoon on amd64 at the moment.
Maybe this will help anybody else considering this setup.

Regards
Daren