Bash: Setting Prompt

Gerard Seibert gerard-seibert at rcn.com
Wed May 18 03:27:12 PDT 2005

FreeBSD 5.4 and Bash 3.00.16(1)

I hope that this is the right place to post this.

I have the following in my '.bash_profile' file.
#
#	Set the prompt to display the 'user at host' and the working
#	directory with a '#' for root and '$' for user.
#
PS1="\u@\h \w "
case 'id -u' in
 	0) PS1="${PS1}# ";;
 	*) PS1="${PS1}$ ";;
esac
#
#	Keep the environment when using su to become root
#
alias su='su -m'
#
It is suppose to set the prompt to display the 'user at host' and the working
directory with a '#' for root and '$' for user. Everything works except
for the '#' and '$' symbols. The '$' symbol is always displayed.

I must be doing something really stupid, but I do not know what. I hope
that someone can assist me.

- -
Ciao,

Gerard E. Seibert
gerard-seibert at suscom.net

Q: What is the definition of gross ignorance?
A: 144 blondes.