sharing ext3 partition

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Tue May 17 15:47:37 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 15:24, backdoc wrote:
> I have a laptop partitioned up into a mixture of Windows and Linux
> partitions. I was thinking about wiping the Ubuntu partition and putting
> FreeBSD 5.4 in its place.  However, there are a couple of concerns that I
> have before doing this.
>
> 1)  Everything except for the NTFS partition is inside of an extended
> partition.
>
> 	If I delete the Ubuntu partition, will FreeBSD install in an extended
> partition?

No, you may be able to resize it though. You are allowed 4 primary partions,
one of which may be an extended partition.  FreeBSD install on a single
primary partion and places all it's native partions inside it without it
counting as the one extended partition.

> 2)  I use one Linux partition to keep all regular user documents that
> Ubuntu and Gentoo share (eg. photos, OpenOffice documents and etc.)
>
> 	Does FreeBSD fully support ext3 writing?

No, but ext3 is compatible with ext2 provided that fsck understands ext3
journals, which I believe is the case with FreeBSD.

> Any drawbacks to sharing an ext3
> partition between Gentoo and FreeBSD?

Since you'll be using it as ext2 (probably with synchronous writes) writing
may be slow under FreeBSD.