scanner software, dvd software, Gnome sound problem (was: Newbie Questions)

Joseph Borg juu.borg at gmail.com
Tue May 17 14:58:40 PDT 2005

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the info :)

I've never used it, but the standard answer seems to be SANE:

/usr/ports/graphics/xsane
/usr/ports/graphics/sane-frontends

- I've installed it; now I'll try and figure out how to use it. Shouldn't be
a problem I guess.

> - Secondly, I've also got a NEC IDE DVD-RW drive hooked up which the
system
> recognizes fine. What software can I use to burn DVDs? All I'm looking for
> is some software (preferably also under X/gnome) that would allow me to
make
> backup DVD's of files I have on the drive (i.e. Data DVDs).

I use dvd+rw-tools (which is not limited to dvd+rw devices, that's just
how it started life):

/usr/ports/sysutils/dvd+rw-tools

- I've installed this tool. Which binary in particular should I use (e.g. to
copy a directory to a dvd). The following binaries were installed:

dvd+rw-booktype   dvd+rw-mediainfo  dvdbackup
dvd+rw-format     dvd-ram-control   dvdnav-config

The summary is, edit /boot/loader.conf to add the line "kldload
snd_driver", then reboot.  That loads most of the sound card drivers, so
it will probably get it working, although not in the most efficient
manner.  I'm assuming you are using FreeBSD 5.x, under 4.x the answer
may be different.

- Yep, this seems to have done the trick. At least a VIA driver is loading,
now I'll test out gnome.

It's best to post one question per message, with a descriptive subject
line.  Someone who knows the answer is more likely to notice it that way.

- Will keep in mind. Thanks again.
Joe