Dual Boot question

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue May 17 11:14:49 PDT 2005

I have a new machine with two drives.  The primary drive came with Windows
XP installed, so I installed FreeBSD (5.4. RELEASE) on the slave.  I want
to dual boot using the Windows boot manager.

I found instructions in the faq:
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NT-BOOTLOADER>
But it's not working.

When I select FreeBSD, the box boots to a prompt, flashing F1 and goes no
further, periodically beeping.

I ran fdisk to make sure that ad5s1 was flagged as bootable and installed
the FreeBSD boot manager.  Then I copied /boot/boot0 to the Windows disk on
C:\ and named it BOOTSEC.BSD and edited the boot.ini file per the
instructions in the faq.

What did I miss?

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer