buffer cache size

michael luch michaelluch at hotmail.com
Tue May 17 09:32:12 PDT 2005

I think that the buffer cache on my system is not growing sufficiently and
wonder if I can I tune it.

Here's a snippet from the output of top on my system:

Mem: 646M Active, 2905M Inact, 174M Wired, 121M Cache, 112M Buf, 5460K Free
Swap: 512M Total, 192K Used, 512M Free

I have a MySQL db that's more than 1GB in size. When I do a SELECT, mysqld
becomes about 25%busy (fair enough, it's waiting for disk). However, I was
expecting to see the Buffer Cache size (that's the 121M Cache I think) grow,
and expected to see subsequent SELECTs cause mysqld become CPU bound, as
data from the database should now be in the buffer cache. However, this is
not the case. I have 2GB of inactive memory, but a small buffer cache and a
disk bound mysqld :(

Are there some tunables I should look at to allow the buffer cache to grow?
All the searches I did suggested that the vm system should look after this
itself.

Thanks