Spam/AV filtering

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue May 17 08:52:07 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 09:37:22AM -0400, Charles Lamb wrote:
> I am using sendmail/qpopper and need a way to do spam and virus
> filtering.  There seems to be a number of ports I can use in the ports
> collection.  I was hoping to get some advice on which one you prefer.  I
> am a bit of a novice so something easy to install would be preferable
> and I am also on a budget so cheap/free is preferable as well.  Thanks.

Since I installed and trained bogofilter, I hardly get spam and viruses
anymore. Around 100 messages are /dev/null-ed by bogofilter every day,
and I get 2 to 5 messages in the "unsure" mailbox per week.

However, a large number of spam and non-spam emails (say 1000 of each)
is a prequisite for training bogofilter well.

If you want I could send you my wordlist.db. It's around 8 MB.

When I just started using bogofilter, I saved the spam in a separate
mailbox, to check for false positives. But I dropped that after about
a month.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.