How to use snapshots

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Tue May 17 03:57:11 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org]On Behalf Of Joel
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 11:47 PM
To: freebsd-questions at FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: How to use snapshots

(reformatted, to maintain the thread)

> > > ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/   looks like
> > install disc1
> > > content.
> > >
> > > How or what do I need to run to use this to update my system?
> > >
> > > Been to the official handbook with no luck.
> >
> > It's exactly like any other install image.
> > Boot the floppies and do a binary upgrade.
>
> I have no idea what you mean by those statements.
> What floppies are you talking about?
> What does what you say have to do with system snapshots.
>
> How do I download the snapshot version with all the files and
> sub-directors?
>
> This snapshot URL must be a normal thing available to the general
> FreeBSD user.
> So there must be some pre-canned way to download and use it.
> How do I find this out?

Read this whole section:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-ed
ge.html

Note, in particular, under the heading

    19.2.2.3 Using FreeBSD-STABLE

--
Joel Rees   <rees at ddcom.co.jp>
digitcom, inc.   株式会社デジコム

That section says  "If you are installing a new system and want it
to be as stable as possible, you can simply grab the latest dated
branch snapshot from
ftp://snapshots.jp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ and install it
like any other release. Or you can install the most recent
FreeBSD-STABLE release from the mirror sites and follow the
instructions below to upgrade your system to the most up to date
FreeBSD-STABLE source code."

OK now how does this answer my question of  HOW do I grab the
snapshot I want????

I know how to use the normal FTP mirror site to fetch the .iso file
and burn a bootable cdrom  or use cvs to build the sources to
recompile the complete system.