Daemon Process

Tim Stephens mail at tjstephens.com
Tue May 17 02:28:00 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 01:57:28PM +0530, Gowtham wrote:
> Hi All,
> Thank you very much for the feedback. Now, suppose I want to write a daemon
> for Unix in C whose job is to monitor other daemons and restart dead
> daemons. The daemon may take the list of such daemons to monitor from a
> file. I want to know how can this be programmatically achieved.

Might this be the thing that you're looking for?

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/launchd.8.html

Slashdot discussion here:
http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/01/1858238&from=rss

My understanding is that it will allow starting and watching of other daemons and processes, in addition to a few other things.  I expect that it won't be too hard to port (assuming that no-one else has already), and Apple have released the source.
Tim