Ethernet over FireWire: How?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 19:32:30 PDT 2005

Hi,

My lab bought a new computer, which I have to
configure as a dual-homed/gateway, sambaserver,
http-server, etc. This I know how to do.
I'm using 5.4-RELEASE for this computer.

Among many things 'built-in' on the motherboard,
it has this also built-in:
 skc0: Marvell Yukon Lite Gigabit Ethernet
 firewire0: <IEEE1394(FireWire) bus> on fwohci0
 fwe0: <Ethernet over FireWire>

(these lines are from dmesg output)

The 'skc0' has the regular ethernet socket (RJ-45
connector), so I can use that as one ethernet
connection.

Can I use the firewire/ethernet as the second
ethernet card on this computer. If yes, how?
I'm not at all familiar with firewire stuff.
The lines in the dmesg output actually triggered
this question.

Can someone give me a layman's answer to how I can
use the firewire as the second ethernet card?
The backside of the computer has a socket labeled
'1394', but this is not a RJ-45 connector. Do I
need a converter cable from firewire to RJ-45?

BTW: what are the advantages and disadvantages of
using this firewire thing as ethernet device?

Thank you very much.

Rob.