FreeBSD or NetBSD on older hardware (MMX)

wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net
Mon May 16 19:00:55 PDT 2005

At 09:36 PM 5/16/2005, you wrote:
>... It is a Pentium 233 MMX w/ 64MB Ram and 12G HD ...
>... Which would perform better on such a system?  FreeBSD or NetBSD?

I have a system with nearly identical specs that runs DNS and some other
minor services on our external network.  While I can't comment on NetBSD, I
would suggest that with FreeBSD in that little memory, you should take the
time to configure and compile a stripped-down kernel.  It saves 5 or 6 MB
of ram on mine (ie:  a good chuck of 64MB!)

   -Wayne