Transferring dump file to tape?

Viren Patel virenp at mail.utexas.edu
Mon May 16 09:36:22 PDT 2005

Hello. I am using 'dump' to backup client filesystems to a
disk file on an NFS mounted partition, e.g.

   dump -0aLu -f /bk/var-20050516 /var

Now I'd like to take the backup file (var-200500516) and
move it to tape (on the NFS server). However I'd like the
tape to have the data just as if it had been created
directly by 'dump', e.g.

   dump -0aLu -f /dev/nsa0 /var

Any way to do this? I could use rdump/rmt to backup
directly to the remote tape, but I am doing it this way to
do fast disk-based backups during night and move to slower
tapes during day. For normal restores I can use NFS-based
files but have tapes for single-user-mode type restores.
Thanks.

--
Viren Patel
Chemistry & Biochemistry