Remove /usr/X11R6 after deinstall?

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein-freebsd-questions at theloosingend.net
Mon May 16 06:08:09 PDT 2005

* Per Berger [2005-05-16 14:06 +0200]
>  Since I have deinstalled all X-related stuff incl. xorg from my machine
>  (don't need it anymore), can I remove the /usr/X11R6 dir structure? It's
>  empty, I've checked, only dirs, no files... Or, to put it another way, is
>  the dir structure there default, i.e. if you do not install X when you
>  install the OS?

No, you could safely remove the empty /usr/X11R6 directory.
To see if all the directories that came with the distribution is there,
check the mount point against the mtree files in /etc/mtree, eg.:

mtree -f /etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist -p /usr -e

...will show all the directories that exists in the mtree file, but are
missing in the directory tree, ie. what dirs are missing.

See mtree(8) for more info