NFS read-ahead?

Andrea Venturoli ml.diespammer at netfence.it
Mon May 16 03:19:31 PDT 2005

Mike Tancsa wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:11:22 +0200, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
> you wrote:
>

>>If yes, is there a way to set it up to perform some read-ahead?
>

> Hi,
> Take a look at the -a and -r options on mount_nfs

Thanks. Sometimes things are in the most obvious place, yet you miss them :)

Now, the manual pages says for -a I should give values greater than 1 if
bandwidth*delay is high. I'm on a swithed FastEthernet, so
bandwidth=100Mb/s and delay is around 0.2 ms of ping roundtrip time.
As for -r it says it should be used when there are many "fragments
dropped due to timeout"; yet I see almost none.

Do you have any suggested values to start with, before I make random
experiments?

  bye & Thanks
	av.