NSSwitch settings on 5.4

Ian Moore no-spam at swiftdsl.com.au
Sun May 15 16:48:27 PDT 2005

Hi,
I'm trying to configure an openldap server on 5.4 and I'm unsure of what the
correct settings in nsswitch.conf should be for a 5.4-Release system, since
the default seems to be different to previous releases.
Perhaps someone here might know?

I've been using the guide at http://books.blurgle.ca/read/chapter/1 as a
reference.
This document says you have these lines in your nsswitch.conf:
passwd: files ldap
group: files ldap

On my 5.4-Release system, the default nsswitch.conf is:
group: compat
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: compat
passwd_compat: nis
shells: files

So should I have

group: compat ldap
passwd: compat ldap

or

group: files ldap
passwd: files ldap

or some other combination?

Using the 'compat ldap' version, I get errors in /var/log/messages:
  May 13 22:42:26 daemon -csh: NSSWITCH(nsparser): /etc/nsswitch.conf  line 1:
  'compat' used with other sources
  May 13 22:42:26 daemon -csh: NSSWITCH(nsparser): /etc/nsswitch.conf  line 5:
  'compat' used with other sources

Cheers,
--
Ian