can't connect to mysql

Eric Cheney cheney at soc.umass.edu
Sun May 15 13:19:31 PDT 2005

On Sunday, 15 May 2005 at 21:53:01 +0200, albi at scii.nl wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 15:37:11 -0400
> Eric Cheney <cheney at soc.umass.edu> wrote:
>
> > Here's the error I get....
> >
> > ****begin error message******
> >
> > max# mysql -u root -p
> > Enter password:
> > ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> > '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
> ---- cut ----
> > So then I did this, as root ....
> >
> > max# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start
>
> you have to specifically enable it in /etc/rc.conf :
>
> mysql_enable="YES"
>
> it's documented in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh

Thank you; that did it!  My apologies for not reading the
documentation---but I didn't know that's where I'd find the answer.
And thanks for the quick response....I think I waited all of 10
minutes!

I have to say FreeBSD is just terrific.  I used FreeBSD for about
nine months about 2 or 3 years ago.  I loved it then, but had to
move to another unix-like OS for reasons that had nothing to do with
FreeBSD.  I put 5.4 on a machine Friday night and it has just been a
terrific experience.  I'm amazed about how "current" the software
is, and yet it seems to be a very stable release.  And now I get
help from the list in about 10 minutes!  People really should feel
proud about FreeBSD.  Great work!  Many thanks to all....

<Eric Cheney>   cheney at soc.umass.edu