can't connect to mysql

Eric Cheney cheney at soc.umass.edu
Sun May 15 12:39:40 PDT 2005

Hello.  I'm trying to get MySQL4.0 working.  I've installed it using
/stand/systinstall (as well as ports method on another attempt).
I got a report from sysinstall that MySQL was installed.  That's
both the client and the server (it caught the dependencies.)

But here's the problem: I can't connect to the database.

Here's the error I get....

****begin error message******

max# mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

****end error message******

I did the above leaving the password blank because I haven't set up
a password for root on MySQL yet.

Which brings up another problem.  I've tried the below and get the
stated message.....

****begin error message******

max# mysqladmin -u root password 'newpassword'
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock'
exists!
max#

****end error message******

Well sure enough, /tmp/mysql.sock does not exist.  And a "ps waux |
grep msyql" leaves me to believe that mysql is not running.

So then I did this, as root ....

max# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start

And still mysql is not running, and I get the same problems as
stated above.

Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.

<Eric Cheney>   cheney at soc.umass.edu