Spam Problems

Kevin Pang kevin at vokaboly.de
Sun May 15 09:56:43 PDT 2005

Hello All,

I'm a newbie and manage a FreeBSD server, which only hosts my own websites,
also only me have shell accounts on this server. Someone sent out lots of
spams from my server today. I have stopped postfix and disabled mail command
to make sure no any emails will be sent to from this server.

I want to know how the spammer did that. Actually I didn't manage postfix to
work well, I even can't send emails from my desktop myself, on the server
side, sending/receiving emails works well. I guess the spams were sent via a
web script. The sender was specified as "www at myhost.com" according to the
complaint email. I use phpBB, vBulletin and Awstats.

The spam email entry in the maillog is:
May 14 14:55:03 pang postfix/smtp[46011]: EC0C595C90: to=<xxx at xxx.com>,
relay=mail2.iecc.com[208.31.42.98], delay=724, status=sent (250 ok
1116100192 qp 2255)

As a newbie, I have no idea where to start to fix the problem. My first
question: Is it possible to know which script sent out these spams? I don't
know what else to ask at the moment. I will appreciate it very much too if
you any other suggestions about my problems. Thanks!

Kevin