5.4 install disc1 will not find hard drive

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat May 14 21:38:31 PDT 2005

I don't think there is anything wrong with the build process of
disc1.iso.  I think instead that someone made a change in the atapi
driver that broke this.

I have a Intel Desktop Motherboard VC820 that this exact thing happened
to.  In my case, I fortunately was running a Hipoint RAID card in it so
the only thing that got wacked was the system now does not recognize
that there is a CDROM on the secondary onboard IDE controller.  Last
week I had it running FreeBSD 4.11 just fine.  (not on the RAID
controller)

I had assumed that using the RAID controller made it so that the onboard
ATAPI controller had some problem, but after seeing this post it is clear
that they broke the driver.

DO you want to file a PR or should I?

Ted