kde & kdm & mouse

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Sat May 14 21:32:56 PDT 2005

On Sun, 15 May 2005, Vittorio De Martino wrote:

> I have the latest installation of freebsd 5.4 on my laptop, kde & kdm 3.4. The
> laptop has a synaptic mousepad endowed of two buttons that in normal
> conditions are not used at all being enough to double-hit on the pad to have
> the same effect as that of pressing the left button.
> Now at boot time I  enabled moused
>
> # ps ax|grep moused
>   493  ??  Ss     0:00.54 /usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/psm0 -t auto
>
> And the following in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "Auto"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> Now it happens that:
>
> 1) If I start kde as a user by means of the command startx (having put
> startkde into .xinitrc) the mouse(-pad) works as expected: I can move around
> the screen and select and launch programs just moving on the pad and double
> hitting the pad . No problems! In a nutshell no need to press the left
> button.
>
> 2) If at boot time I start kde by means of kdm having put in /etc/ttys:
> ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure
>
> and modified /etc/pam.d as required to autologin, I immediatedly and
> automagically login into kde as a user and the mouse works BUT... with the
> pad I can only move around the screen and the double-hit doesn't work anymore
> so that I have to use the left button cumpulsorily (and annoyingly).
>
> Why in your opinion is that crazy behavior and what should I do?

Are the startx-launched and kdm-launched X daemons using the same config
file? Check the top of /var/log/Xorg.*.log for sure. If you ran
"X -configure" at some point it might be using a config out of your home
directory and not in one of the system locations.  When kdm starts it it
doesn't look in your homedir :)