write failed filesystem full on fresh install of 5.4

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Sat May 14 13:19:29 PDT 2005

> It was extracting the distribution into / over ftp and said
>
> /: write failed, filesystem is full
>
> this was after doing a newfs on /.  Has anyone run into this problem?

You are going to have to give more information.
What do your file systems look like?

Sure I have had that happen when what I was ftp-ing was too big to fit
where I was trying to put it.   Then I had to either find or make a
bigger space or change my mind about what I wantd to move there.

Maybe yo udidn't make / big enough or made only a / big enough
for stuff that will be in root, but didn't make a separate /usr and /var, etc
for things what will go in them.

> I am not subscribed.  If I should be tell me.  If not, put me
> in the cc-line.

It would be good if you could subscribe.
You may need to follow some of these threads.

////jerry