ipfilter and logging...

Per Berger freebsd at stortsett.se
Sat May 14 05:28:20 PDT 2005

Hi!

So I've installed ipfilter and ipnat with help from the handbook. It
works great so now my box is connected to my ADSL connection.

But... (there is always a but...)

I am confused regarding logging. The handbook says that I can add
"security.*" in syslog.conf and specify a logfile to log the firewall.
But there is already an entry in syslog.conf "security.*" from install (
I am running 5.4-RELEASE upgraded from 5.3 via cvsup (which worked great
btw...)) pointing at /var/log/security. And all logging goes to
/var/log/security. But at least some of it goes also to
/var/log/messages; seems to be the "final" rules that goes there, i.e.
such as "block in log first quick on fxp0 all".

My syslog.conf looks like this:

"
*.notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err
/var/log/messages
security.*                                      /var/log/security
"

(sorry for truncation, hope you get the picture...)

Now for my question. I do really want a separate log file for ipfilter.
How would a change syslog.conf to separate out the ipfilter logs from
the rest without breaking any other logging? Or, at least, how do I
change the line for /var/log/messages so that no ipfilter stuff goes
there without breaking something else?

Sorry if this is obvious stuff but I've searched for the answer but is
only getting more confused the more I search...

--
Per Berger
                                                                      _