System Crash when kldload if_ndis

Matt matt at mattford.net
Sat May 14 03:48:06 PDT 2005

I'm not sure if the problem I am having is with the kernel modules I am
using (I've tried with two different ones) or with the ndis module
itself or what. I am running FreeBSD 5.4 amd64 on an Asus A8V-E Deluxe
motherboard, AMD 64 3000+, 512MB RAM. The ndis drivers I am using are
for a Marvell 88E8053 gigabit ehternet controller and the onBoard wifi
controller of the Asus A8V-E Deluxe (i'm not sure what the chipset is).

When using ndiscvt I get the error "section relocation failed". Other
errors is when I am trying to ndiscvt the marvell driver I get the error:

ndiscvt: line 238: Controlled%: syntax error.

Here are the lines in the inf file:

237: HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpModeCap_A\enum,  0,,              %Non%
238: HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpModeCap_A\enum,  15,,             %OS Controlled%
239: HKR, Ndi\Params\WakeUpModeCap_A\enum,  25,,             %Magic Packet%

Basically I don't think it likes the spaces, so I went through the whole
.inf deleting the spaces wherever it threw up a syntax error and in the
end it compiled a kernel module that then crashed the system. I didn't
get a chance to get the error when it crashed the system.

The wifi driver went through ndiscvt without any problems but when I try
and kldload the wifi driver I get this error:

fault virtual address           = 0x96222d5b
fault code                      = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer             = 0x8:0xffffffff961e2466
stack pointer                   = 0x10:0xffffffff961d75d0
frame pointer                   = 0x10:096222d57
code segment                    = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                 = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags                = Interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process                 = 472 (kldload)
trap number                     = 12
panic: page fault

Other points to note is that I had to run the marvell .inf file through
iconv with the -c flag to ignore characters it couldn't convert, this
could possibly have left out some important data from the inf maybe?

I'll be gratefull for any suggestions