Strange kernel messages

Colin J. Raven colin at kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl
Sat May 14 00:14:25 PDT 2005

Hi all!
I occasionally get these in my daily security run output (which is
worrying in itself)

Limiting closed port RST response from 1629 to 200 packets per second

the number of these can range from one or two, to sometimes 25 - 30
although the latter case is rarer. Usually there's about six or so.
These don't arrive every day, usually about once per week on average.

Is this an OS response to an attempted attack, limiting potential DDOS
damage? That's how I'm reading it, but of course I'm guessing. If that
*is* so, what mechanism is doing this?

FreeBSD 4.11 STABLE

Regards & TIA
-Colin