can't build firefox 1.0.4 on 4.10

Timothy Smith timothy at open-networks.net
Fri May 13 23:44:10 PDT 2005

Alex Zbyslaw wrote:

> Timothy Smith wrote:
>
>> ./configure gets
>>
>> *** The libIDL-config script installed by libIDL could not be found
>> *** If libIDL was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
>> *** your path, or set the LIBIDL_CONFIG environment variable to the
>> *** full path to libIDL-config.
>> checking for orbit-config... no
>> configure: error: libIDL not found.
>>        libIDL 0.6.3 or higher is required.
>

> [and ...]
>
>> %locate libIDL-config-2
>> /usr/local/bin/libIDL-config-2
>> %which make
>> /usr/bin/make
>> %ls -lsa `which make`
>> 224 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  206736 May 26  2004 /usr/bin/make
>>
> That looks right.  (Btw "/usr/local/bin/libIDL-config was installed by
> package ORBit-0.5.17_2" and that doesn't appear to be a dependency of
> firefox's.  I think the message from firefox install is just confusing
> the issue and it is libIDL-config-2 that's required).
>
> More obvious questions.  You are doing the firefox install as root and
> root does have /usr/local/bin/ in it's path and libIDL-config-2 is
> executable?  As root check with: "which libIDL-config-2".
>
> Just to confirm it working, I tried just configuring firefox and got:
>
> checking for libIDL-2.0 >= 0.8.0... yes
> checking LIBIDL_CFLAGS... -I/usr/local/include/libIDL-2.0
> -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include
> checking LIBIDL_LIBS... -L/usr/local/lib -lIDL-2
>
> I'm not sure what else to suggest.  make clean in firefox and try
> making again.
>
> --Alex

i wasn't doing ./configure as root, doing it as root and it's found
libIDL-config without a problem, however i've runinto something else now

make halts at

"Makefile", line 386: Missing dependency operator
Error expanding embedded variable.

note there's a few other missing dependency operator msg's above that

a quick look in the make file see's this at line 386
# Hack to generate xpidl Makefile
ifneq ($(BUILD_MODULES),all)