httpd.core

Tom Vilot tom at vilot.com
Fri May 13 10:39:26 PDT 2005

Although quite a bit of time has gone by, I thought I would follow up
this thread with my fix so that future searches of this thread will turn
up the solution.

My solution was to statically compile mod_perl into httpd. Although I
thought the problem was PHP, it turned out not to be. After carefully
pruning the httpd.conf file one line at a time, it became apparent that
it was my use of mod_perl that was at issue.

Statically compiling it into apache worked nicely. And this only
required that I set up my Apache this way:

  +-----------+	     +---------------------+
  +-----------+	     | 	in statically 	   |  | |
    ^	      	     +---------------------+  | |
    |  	       	       	+---------------------+ |
    |		       	   +--------------------+
    |			    	    ^
    +			    	    |
    uses proxying	    	    |
    to my mod_perl httpd    	    |
    All 'conventional' sitest	    |
    that use static content are	    |
    hosted here.       	    	    |
    All ssl is handled here.	    |

		 All my mod_perl sites use
       	       	 this configuration. Multiple
		 mod_perl httpd processes with
		 different httpd.conf definitions

One of the nice things with this configuration is that I can reboot my
individual mod_perl based applications (which have a somewhat heavy
startup time, since I compile a lot of modules on startup) without
affecting all the 'conventional' sites that are currently running on my
server. It also allows me to modify the mod_perl compiled httpd in the
future if I need to. Again, without screwing up my main, conventional
sites.

---
   Tom Vilot
   tom at vilot.com