Box Mysteriously Rebooting?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Fri May 13 09:47:21 PDT 2005

Jeff Bethke wrote:

>I've read through archives and it seems that when the FreeBSD kernel
>hits *any* kind of hardware fault.. it reboots!

Nonsense.  If, for example, your memory was duff or overheating, and
that caused a bad dereference in kernel code, then it might, quite
understandably, cause a reboot.  Probably there are other scenarios as
well, but it is just daft to say that any hardware problem inevitably
causes reboot.  You are clearly frustrated by the problem, but lashing
out with wild generalisations isn't going to help your cause any.

Last year I had a memory stick go a bit duff.  Windows rebooted all the
time whereas freebsd noticed the problem, and stopped using the bad
section of memory, thus keeping me working and earning until more memory
arrived in the post.

--Alex