Video card support

Jason Stewart jstewart at rtl.org
Fri May 13 08:07:14 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 09:49 -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I just got a new desktop machine, and I'm reviewing the supported hardware
> list on freebsd.org.  I don't see anything at all about video cards.  Are
> they listed in some other place?
>
> I found two messages in the hardware mailing list that mention the ati
> radeon x300 card, but the only thing I could glean from it is that ati
> support might not be all that great.  Is that true?
>
> Will fbsd support dual monitors with this card?

Are you talking about the X windowing system or console? If you're
talking X, The cards are supported through xorg (starting with FreeBSD
5.3) and xfree86 (Releases before 5.3). Many cards have dual monitor
capability through xorg.

The best place to see if a card is supported and what features that the
card's driver supports are through xorg and xfree86's pages:
http://www.x.org
http://www.xfree86.org

If you're talking about the text console, any VGA video card is
supported. There is not dual monitor support in the VGA driver if I
recall correctly.

Jason