FreeBSD 5.3 installation problem

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri May 13 03:19:47 PDT 2005

simon butsana wrote:
> When trying to install FreeBSD 5.3 on my computer, I get the following error "No disks found".
>
> But I can install without any problem Linux or Windows on that computer. The hard disk is IDE 160 GB (Western Digital).
>
> Does anyone have an idea on a solution?

5.4 just came out, it might be useful to try with that or with 4.11 instead,
and see whether they do any better.  The next step, or maybe the first step if
you want to try with 5.3, is to try booting via safe mode via the startup menu,
which disables ACPI, DMA, and all sorts of stuff, and may work enough to
install (albeit slower and without powermanagement stuff).

You should review and adjust other BIOS settings, such as making sure the BIOS
sees the drive in LBA mode (set it directly if need be, don't use automatic).
You might also double-check for a BIOS update for your hardware, that may help.

--
-Chuck

PS: <questions at freebsd.org> and <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> are the same