Setting up ntpd on FreeBSD (5.4)

Benjamin Keating motionsiren at gmail.com
Thu May 12 15:27:14 PDT 2005

I'm running a generic install of FreeBSD 5.4 and would like to setup
ntpd. ntpdate doesn't do me much good as I rarely reboot, but I took
the handbooks suggestion of using it anyway (and I've verified it
works)). Anyway, I'm having trouble setting up ntpd and it'd be great
if I could get your input on my steps.

I'd like for other machines on my network to talk to this one (ntpd
server) to get the time rather then define each machine with it's own
public ntpd servers.

1). Add ntpd_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf
2). Create /etc/ntp.conf and (touch) /etc/ntp/ntp.drift

Permissions:
   /etc/ntp.conf        -rw-r--r-- root:wheel
   /etc/ntp/ntp.drift   -rw-r--r-- root:wheel

%<----- BEGIN /etc/ntp.conf -----
restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap

server clepsydra.dec.com
server clock.fmt.he.net
server clock.isc.org

driftfile /etc/ntp/ntp.drift
>%----- END /etc/ntp.conf -----

I rebooted and watched my /var/log/messages and saw:

May 12 15:17:08 toki ntpd[349]: Frequency format error in /etc/ntp/ntp.drift

I did a sockstat -l and you can see ntpd is running (BTW, is there
anyway to have it not listen to for IPv6? I only use 4 and I hate
seeing that clutter).

What am I doing wrong? /etc/ntp/ntp.drift is writeable by root, which
ntpd is running as... Im confused. Anyhelp would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

- bpk