Big delay between login as: and Password:

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Thu May 12 14:35:48 PDT 2005

Fafa Hafiz Krantz wrote:
> Hey!
>
> I'm experiencing a rather unusual delay in between login as:
> and Password: when I SSH in via PuTTY -- it lasts for about 1
> minute, maybe a bit more. How can this be?
>
> After I've logged in, there's an additional (5-10 seconds) delay
> in the loading of zsh. This happened after I switched from tcsh to
> zsh. I do not know whether the two delays are connected though.
>
> I know my server is slow (P120), but not that slow!
>
> http://www.home.no/hedhnta/zshrc
> http://www.home.no/hedhnta/zsh-x
>
> Can anyone help me?
> Thanks!

Define this a bit more. IE: from a remote PC, a remote site, etc. If its
the latter, then the lagg would be the latency between point A and point
B. Meaning, if the remote box is miles away, the route to it may be
diverted in some magical way as only the internet can do.

If however, the remote box is right next to you - well, who knows.
I would also guess it would make a diff what you are running on the box
you are ssh'in into, IE: Are you running X on it, is it hosting web
pages, it is FTP, mail etc.

There are lots of factors but you need to be specific as to the
environment. Know what I mean?

--
Best regards,
Chris

You can pray hard enough to make water run uphill
how hard?
Hard enough to make water run uphill.