two ISP connections, three nics, and a NAT

WMC wc_fbsd at xxiii.com
Thu May 12 08:24:54 PDT 2005

At 11:06 AM 5/12/2005, you wrote:
>I have two ISP connections, a DSL line and a Cable Modem line.  I want  to
>plug both connections into a FreeBSD box that has three nics in it, one
>nic for each ISP connection and the last nic for my NAT.  How can I bind
>the connections together without any other sort of router?

I setup something similar that may be useful....  We have a small office
with a 12/24ths of a T-1 line for an absurd amount of money as our primary
connection.  Cheap residential cable service became available with
quadruple the bandwidth [incoming only] for cheap.

I installed an extra NIC the to cable modem and setup the Squid proxy /
cache on a f'bsd box that was already running other services.  Then used
some Squid options and IPFW to get all Squid's traffic running over the
cable line.  This gets us faster web and ftp downloads, and off-loads the
T-1 for other things.

   -Wayne