Big delay on login: What's wrong?

Fafa Hafiz Krantz fteg at london.com
Thu May 12 05:41:28 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrei A. Voropaev" <av at simcon-mt.com>
To: "Fafa Hafiz Krantz" <fteg at london.com>
Subject: Re: Big delay on login: What's wrong?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:19:21 +0200

> On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 04:49:52AM -0500, Fafa Hafiz Krantz wrote:
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm on a Pentium 120 with FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE, and zsh-4.2.5.
> > When I log in, I have to wait in between 5 to 10 seconds before
> > the prompt displays. Even though I use a functional zshrc file
> > that has proven to work on other systems, things like auto
> > completion doesn't seem to work in this case.
> >
> > # cat /etc/zshrc
> > #
> > http://www.home.no/hedhnta/zshrc
> >
> > # cat /etc/zlogout
> > #
> > http://www.home.no/hedhnta/zlogout
> >
> > # zsh -x
> > #
> > http://www.home.no/hedhnta/zsh-x
> >
> > Somebody know?
>
> Most likely it has nothing to do with zsh. Once we had the same problem
> because one of the daemons (I think ident) was trying to connect back to
> the machine where connection was coming from to find out username there.
> And we had firewall that was blocking those connections. So, login had
> to wait till that daemon gave up.
>
> YMMV.
>
> --
> Minds, like parachutes, function best when open

That's strange.

I doubt I have any daemons running that PF doesn't allow.

# cat /etc/pf.conf
#

int_if="ep0"
ext_if="lnc0"

set     block-policy drop
scrub   in all

nat     on $ext_if from $int_if:network to any -> ($ext_if)
rdr     on $int_if proto tcp from any to any \
        port 21 -> 127.0.0.1 port 8021

block   drop log all
pass    quick on { lo0 $int_if }

pass    out on $ext_if inet proto { tcp, udp, icmp } \
        from any to any keep state

pass    in on $ext_if inet proto { tcp, udp } \
        from any to ($ext_if) port 53
pass    out on $ext_if inet proto { tcp, udp } \
        from any port 53 to any

pass    out on $ext_if inet proto udp \
        from any to any port 123 keep state

pass    in on $ext_if inet proto tcp \
        from any to ($ext_if) port { 22, 80, 113 } flags S/SA keep state

pass    in on $ext_if inet proto tcp \
        from any port 20 to ($ext_if) user proxy flags S/SA keep state

pass    in on $ext_if proto tcp \
        from any to any port 31337 keep state
pass    in on $ext_if proto tcp \
        from any to any port 53333:55555

By the way, I like the slogan in your signature.
It's among the best I've ever heard, as it applies to all things.

--

Fafa Hafiz Krantz
  Research Designer @ http://www.home.no/barbershop